Looking at activity in the first half of January our optimism about the coming months is confirmed as we look at the increasing sales figures and the general attitude of the buying and selling public. Here are some interesting facts about 2009 taken from the Marin Association of Realtors:
- The average home price in Marin at the end of 2009 was 17.9% greater than at the start of the decade. The DOW was down 3.3% during that same time period.
- The 4th quarter for 2009 was much improved in many areas from 2008.
- Homes sales were up 44.1% in the 4th quarter and Kentfield, Larkspur, Novato, San Rafael, and Tiburon had median and average price sales increases during this time period.
- For the full year of 2009, more homes sold in Marin than in 2008.
- The supply of homes for sale at the beginning of 2010 was less than previous years.
- 43% of all homes listed in 2009 were in contract within the first 60 days.
- In the past decade the average home price increased in each city by the amount shown below:
Corte Madera: 50.3%
Mill Valley: 20.9%
San Anselmo: 28.7%
San Rafael: 15.6%
West Marin: 4.2%
*Average home prices can be weighted by the proportion of lower priced homes (such as condominiums)
within a given year. Those cities having a significant portion of condominiums to single family homes are Greenbrae, Novato, San Rafael, and Sausalito.