Marin County Home Inspection Information
Why You Should Obtain a Home Inspection
As a prospective homebuyer, are you sophisticated in identifying potential problem areas in your potential new home? Just as most people get used cars checked by their mechanic before purchasing, you should get your home checked by professionals. A small investment in inspections can save you hundreds of thousands of dollars in the future.
Common Marin Home Inspections
A general home inspector should look into the following areas:
- Structural: Many home inspection organizations have set standards on certain areas of the home that the home inspector looks at to determine the integrity of the essential internal and external structural components. Home inspectors are not structural engineers but can identify visual defects in these areas requiring immediate repairs.
- Electrical: Do the outlets all work? Does the house use fuses or is there a breaker box? Are there any visible signs of fraying on the wiring?
- Plumbing: Are there any leaks or annoying drips? Are all mechanical systems and fixtures working properly?
- Built-In Appliances: Are they functioning properly, are they covered under warranty?
- Safety Hazards: Are there any potential safety hazards or dangerous conditions?
- Miscellaneous: Other items may or may not be included in a standard home inspection. Some of these may be septic systems, roofs, drainage problems, wood decks, patios or other exterior structures
In addition to a general home inspection, we recommend that you obtain the following inspections depending on the age of your house and where it is in Marin. For more personalized recommendations please contact us.
- Termite: Does the home have any termites? Is there evidence of termite damage? The seller may provide a termite report which you need to review. Depending on the inspection company and the thoroughness of the report, you may want to get your own report for a second opinion.
- Extra Inspections: chimney, roof, sewer, structural engineer, etc all fall under this umbrella.
For a detailed list of recommended Marin home inspectors, please fill out your information below: